Working Wheels Program Associate Job Description
Working Wheels Working Wheels provides affordable, reliable transportation to local families in Western North Carolina. We do this through two programs: the Vehicle Purchase Program and the Vehicle Repair Program. For the Vehicle Purchase Program, we repair and refurbish donated cars and sell them for an affordable price to working families. For the Vehicle Repair Program, we offer deeply discounted vehicle repairs for people who cannot afford to repair a vehicle they already own. We offer these programs because we know that a dependable car opens the doors to education, employment, access to healthcare, and an improved quality of life.
Working Wheels seeks a part-time (30 hrs/wk), detail-oriented professional who balances excellent communication and time-management skills with compassion and a commitment to serving our participants and their families.
We are seeking someone with the cultural competency and experience to effectively welcome and serve all program participants, particularly those from marginalized communities. Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Vehicle Repair Program
- Receive and verify electronic applications
- Onboard participants by phone
- Coordinate with tow companies and repair shops by phone, text, and email
- May include some driving to visit repair shops and/or participants around WNC
- Administrative support
- Data entry
- Responding to email and phone inquiries as necessary
- Support the Vehicle Repair Program
- Status: Part-Time, 30 hours per week, Monday-Friday. This position is grant-funded through May 2024. While the position is likely to continue beyond that date, it cannot be guaranteed.
- Responsible to: Director of Programs and Administration
- Education: Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Experience: 2 years of work experience in client services, customer service, or other related field
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English. Ability to speak Spanish a plus. Fluent Spanish speakers will receive an additional $1,560 in compensation per year ($1.00/hour)
- Personal: Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Drive, Gmail; ability to manage multiple tasks; attention to detail; ability to respond appropriately to changing situations; great communication skills, both oral and written; ability to work independently and as a team member; commitment to organization’s goals regarding quality, productivity and client service; commitment to the mission and philosophy of Working Wheels; demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion; a safe driving record and valid NC driver’s license.
- Vision, Hearing, and Speaking: Ability to read and analyze data daily and to communicate with staff and the public daily via telephone and in person.
- Agility and Dexterity: Ability to input and retrieve data daily; required to perform written communication and use office equipment necessary to the fulfillment of job duties (computer, printer, telephone, calculator, copy machine); may be required to stand for long periods of time; required to operate an automobile on a regular basis.
- Mental: Ability to read, comprehend and analyze data daily.
Salary and Benefits
- $20 per hour
- Fluent Spanish speakers will earn an additional $1 per hour ($1,560 per year)
- $350 monthly medical stipend
- 3% retirement match
- $500 per year in professional development
- 12 paid holidays per year
- 10 days of paid time off (PTO) in the first year. PTO will increase with length of employment
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume by email to: email@example.com
- Subject: Program Associate – Your Last Name
- In your cover letter:
- Tell us how you heard about the position.
- Make the connection between your job experience and what we are looking for.
- Tell us about your commitment to communities of color, racial equity, and/or experience within Black and/or Spanish-speaking communities in North Carolina.
- Tell us why you are interested in the job.
No phone inquiries, please.
- February 20: Post opening
- March 6: Begin reviewing resumes/cover letters
- March 15-22: Interviews with selected candidates
- March 24: Final candidate selected and offered position
- April 10: Start date
Working Wheels does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion or religious creed, handicap or disability, sex or gender, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.